Thailand with a side trip to KL… and 6 months comes to an end

Thursday 21st May 2009

Hello everyone. Just a quick one!
We’re currently in Ubon, a town in NE Thailand, we arrived yesterday and we’re leaving in an hour or so on the night bus to Bangkok. It has been very very hot today and yesterday too. I was worried that the weather might have cooled down since we were last in Thailand but Sarah will be happy to know that it hasn’t so there will be maximum tanning opportunity πŸ˜‰
It’s been nice to be back in a more developed area after 18 days in Laos. We’re really looking forward to seeing Bangkok again and we’ll be treating ourselves to a night at the cinema in the paragon shopping center tomorrow night to see Angels and Demons πŸ™‚ We’re already treated ourselves to some amazing Thai food – always good, always cheap!
Bye bye! Jemma and Taz

Friday 22nd May 2009

We’re back in Bangkok a last, the night bus last night was uneventful apart from Taz getting bitten on his face by mosquito’s in his sleep, poor thing.
This morning when we arrived at 6pm, got in a metered taxi for 20 mins (massive 2 quid) to Khaosan Road and had a McDonald’s breakfast. We ate in with all our bags in tow, watching the rats run around outside eating left over sausages/kebabs/spring rolls etc on the street…
We have checked into the Happy House hotel early today but for a cheaper price, it’s now low season now in Thailand. The weather is hot today, but overcast so you sweat buckets and it does nothing for your tan in return!
Tonight we’re going to the cinema as planned at the amazing Paragon complex in a Tuk Tuk (because we love them) and then an early night with no beer πŸ˜‰ I’m getting a 6am minibus tomorrow to the airport to collect Sarah from the airport while Taz sleeps in and gets the 12noon minibus to collect Anneka. Then the party really begins!!

Sunday 24th May 2009

Incredibly hungover yesterday, ended up on KkaoSan until god knows what time. I was asleep when Sarah called to see which part of the airport I was meeting her in. Guilty!! So good news is, Sarah and Anneka are here! Yesterday when Sarah arrived we made a special effort to go to the Paragon shopping center before she jet lag kicked in. We took her for some god damn amazing Thai food and then she slept for ages! We got a coconut drink too which she loved, you just chop the top off and put a straw in it. Anneka arrived at 1pm and we took her for some great food too. Both were amazed that food for 2/3 people costs about 2 quid at our favorite stall and it’s alwyas brilliant. While we were sat waiting for our food a HUGE durian fruit fell out of the tree and whizzed past Taz’s head before smashing on the floor – Taz could have been a gonner if it was a couple more inches in his direction!!! Ha ha.
Last night we drank enough beer / cocktails to last a lifetime and then got some more brilliant food on the way back to the hotel. Best bit about Thailand for me – FOOD!
I think today after breakfast we’ll take the girls up the river on the river taxi to take in some of the sights and we’re planning on watching a night at the museum 2 at the cinema while we’re in the city so we might do that tonight and save the lady boy shows for tomorrow…!
So far Anneka and Sarah seem to love Bangkok as much as we do and they haven’t been here 24 hours yet πŸ™‚

Tasting Bugs

Wednesday 27th May 2009

Before leaving Bangkok for our 4 day KL shopping and sight seeing trip we managed to squeeze in quite a lot. We went to the huge Imax cinema to watch “a night at the museum 2” which was good, scouted around the China town where you could buy all sorts of junk and we went to the red light district to visit the lady boy clubs. Sarah volunteered for the ping pong competition – don’t worry, she was the one with the bat. It was minging!
Yesterday the 4 of us arrived in KL. We spent last night wandering the streets in China town doing some bargain hunting. There’s loads of stuff I fancied – handbags, sunglasses, shoes and suitcases but what the hell would i do with them all while we’ve still got a month backpacking?!
Unfortunately last night Sarah started to feel quite ill and we think she might have caught something from food because she’s spent the last 12 hours in bed recovering. However we will be getting her up for the Petronas towers tonight (we have tickets for the 5.30 viewing) and the football in the early hours of the morning. It’s the Champions league final and Taz and Sarah wouldn’t miss it for the world by the sounds of it! I’m going for the atmosphere but Anneka’s going for the much more sensible option and will be going to bed well before the 2.30am kick off πŸ™‚
Over the next couple of days before we return to Thailand for the islands and beaches, we’re planning of visiting the remaining jungle in KL, a very large aviary and lots of shopping malls/theme parks/bowling alley/cinema type things! We might also be including a doctors trip if Sarah isn’t feeling any better today. A couple of antibiotics have sorted Taz right out as he was feeling a similar way for a couple of days and after a trip to the airport doctor while he was waiting for Anneka’s flight to land he’s right as rain. He got prescribed the same as what I did in Bali we think. So Sarah may have picked it up after a very short time of being here.

Sunday 31st May 2009

The last few days since I last updated the log have been pretty eventful…
In Kuala Lumpur the morning after Sarah started to feel really ill we took her to a little clinic over the road from the hotel and the doctor there suspected appendicitis and advised us to rush over to a hospital and get it checked out. So a couple of hours later Sarah was actually having it removed in Sentosa hospital!! Thank god for travel insurance though – the op cost a thousand pounds which would have made this a very expensive holiday for her! While Sarah was in hospital for 2 nights we managed to take full advantage of the cheapest beer we could find which isn’t cheap at all compared to much of Asia. But it was fun πŸ™‚ We managed to whiz around the best of the shopping centers and visit the aviary which was really good and a really really hot and humid day!
Sarah was released from hospital on Saturday afternoon and after a quick shower and a subway we were returning to Bangkok for the night. We arrived late and intended to go to bed early as we were heading to the beach the following day but a recovering Sarah was the only one that went to bed sober and early πŸ˜‰ The Chang’s are just too tempting on a Saturday night in Bangkok!
There was a frantic rush this morning when I thought we had 10 minutes to check out and get in a taxi when actually we had an hour, we just hadn’t changed out phones/watches back to Thai time from Malaysian time! So we got a nice eggs breakfast and rammed all our bags into the boot of a taxi which he had to tie wrap down because 4 big bags in one boot was a bit of an issue. The 3 hour journey to Cha Am where we arrived this afternoon was very smooth apart from the monsoon half way through which forced us to buy bin bags from the patrol station, wrap our luggage in them in the rain and then carry on… so much fun!! It cost us 8 quid each for the taxi which is reasonable considering the bus takes much longer and isn’t too much cheaper when there’s 4 of you.
We arrived in Cha-Am and found a room really quickly. 10 quid and it has air-con, a TV, hot water and a really cosy feel to it. Probably one of the nicest rooms we’ve found for the money which will hopefully be a recurring theme as it’s low season and I think we’re the only tourists here, ha ha. We all had dinner at a cheap little place round the corner and Anneka who really likes crabs invested in a plate of them and wasn’t disappointed. This evening while sarah was resting we took a quick dip in the sea at sunset and enjoyed the beach.
The nicest part about being here is the chance to relax after a hectic week in 2 of Asia’s busiest cities. Tomorrow will be a chance to chill and sunbath in a the peace and quiet, bobbing around in the sea doing nothing πŸ™‚

Tuesday 2nd June 2009

Today we’re leaving Cha Am after 2 nights here. Yesterday me and Taz had a much needed huge lie in. After some food we all headed out to the beach where we lazed about for an hour before it started to shower. We sheltered under some sun umbrellas for a while during the rain and afterwards we got some good pictures of a double rainbow over the sea!
We rented some scooters in the evening and rode out for tea, finding some very cheap but very nice seafood noodle soup. We returned to the hotel with a bottle of vodka between us and lots of pink fizzy fanta πŸ™‚
Today we were up pretty early to catch some rays. We took our scooters to a quieter stretch of sand and chilled out for most of the day. sarah had a little dip in the sea too because she’s feeling much better and is healing well! I’ve noticed that there appear to be more jellyfish and they’re not confined to the deeper water! Taz remembers reading somewhere that in June, July and August there are loads of jellies in the sea in these parts so I think we have more of that to look forward to!
Tonight we’re getting a train to Surat Thani. I think I’m the only one that’s falling over with excitement about it, particularly as we’re traveling the approximately 8 hour journey in 3rd class… We’re planning on getting the boat to Ko Samui where Anneka’s flying home from on Saturday. can’t wait to get to more nice sandy beaches!!

Friday 5th June 2009

As everybody knows from the last blog we took the train on Wednesday night to Surat Thani. If all had gone as planned we’d have been on the train at 7.45pm and in Surat Thani by 3am Thursday morning. All didn’t go to plan though, we arrived at the station and the guard told us the train would be an hour late, an hour and a half later and it rolled up, by which time Sarah had been eaten alive by mosquitos. Being backpackers we had bought the cheapest available ticket – the cheapest was 3 quid each in 3rd class. So we sat in our seats in the bolt upright position for a looooooong time. All part of the fun!! In the middle of the night the train stopped for 2 hours and we still aren’t sure why. You looked out of the window and it was complete darkness all around the train. Very spooky! At this point me and Taz went outside to stretch our legs and let the other 2 stretch out and sleep a bit. When the train got going again me and Taz were still up, standing at the open doors as the sun came up. Very romantic! It was like being in an old film on our old train, chugging along at sunrise! I loved it. But the delays meant that we only arrived at Surat Thani at 8am. By 10am we were on a 2 hour ferry to Ko Samui. At 12noon we were on Samui in the raging heat and after a little looking around we’d found 3 beach huts constructed on the sand about 10 meters from the lovely blue sea on Lamai beach. The best part is that they’re 8 quid each as it’s low season. Sarah absolutely loves that she’s in a beach hut and that when you open the door in the morning you’re blinded by the bright sun, white sand and bright blue sea. We had a look around and went to bed. Taz and I didn’t actually have any sleep all night (too busy filming the sunrise) and I don’t think Sarah or Anneka got much either so it was nice to have a seep before going out for a nice seafood tea at about half 9.
Yesterday everybody was up and about early to make the most of the sunbathing opportunity right on our doorstep. We chilled out all day but I couldn’t help spending more time in the shade or in the sea (no jellies!) than baking in the sun because it was so intense. We all went really brown but unfortunately I was the only one not to go red. Taz had a little redness on his shoulders – nothing major, I’d been plastering him in factor 30 all day. Sarah has a rosy face and even Anneka with her factor 50 on went a little rosy in the sun. Last night we went out for tea at the neightbouring beach, Chaweng. When we got back we sat outside out beach bungalows on this pagoda type wooden construction that the massage women use during the day. It was very relaxing sat right infront of the sea with a few 7 eleven beverages…
Today Taz and I are the only ones out of bed at dinner time so we’ve been for some tasty noodle soup from a stall. I believe Sarah’s having a lovely peaceful lie in and unfortunately Anneka’s feeling a little bit dodgy so she’s sticking to her hut for a while. It suits us as sunbathing all day after we did yesterday just feels like way too much for your skin. So we’re wandering around the small town instead πŸ™‚
Tonight is Anneka’s last night and we’re planning to go out for tea in style for the occassion. Tomorrow is Taz’s birthday so I have to work on pamering him all day. The day after is the full moon party. 3 busy days and then hopefully a few more blissfull weeks of relaxation before we find our way home πŸ™‚

Saturday 6th June 2009

Last night everyone was feeling little tired after tea. I think it’s all the heat! So we went back to our usual spot on the beach with a beer and after Anneka and Sarah went to bed we went on a mini adventure on the scooters for another beer and didn’t end up going to bed until about 3am, we were having too much fun relaxing πŸ™‚ I think everybody was a little bit on edge last night before going to bed because the bungalows a little further down the beach from us were broken into and one girl was crying because her laptop had been nicked and the police weren’t helping so she can’t even claim on her insurance…
This morning everyone was up bright and early. We did a little bit of sightseeing on the scooter and then sat in the warm water in the blazing heat to top our tans up in a really nice little bay. Taz did some snorkelling too. It was postcard perfect!
This afternoon Anneka left to catch her flight to Bangkok to make her midnight flight home. Can’t believe our visitors have been here 2 weeks already. Time flies!! Lucky Sarah has another 10 days to explore more of Thailands white sandy beaches! Me and Sarah went ofr some food while Taz ran up and down the beach with a very fluffy bouncy puppy that he borrowed from a local!
Tonight as it’s Taz’s birthday we’re taking him out for a meal and some cocktails. We’re going to try and get an earlyish night though because we’re catching a morning boat to Phangan, checking into the Seaboard hotel and making our way down to the full moon party a couple of miles away.
I don’t think that any of us want to part with our brilliant little beach huts (wish bungalows I think they’re called) right on the beach here on Samui but we have to leave them behind at some point! We have a brilliant view all day and it’s so quiet at night sat with drinks in our little wooden pagoda thingy! But I’m sure we’ll find some ace quiet spots in Phangan aswell. Haad Yao beach is meant to be the nicest looking on the island and it’s far enough away from the party to limit the chance of a break in and reduce noise! It’s all very excitiing – new island, 10,000 party people…

Tuesday 9th June 2009

Lots has happened since the last update, but I’ll start where we finished off on Saturday…
We took Taz out for a lovely meal, we wandered about looking for the best seafood selection we could find and settled on a mixed plate which included a fish fillet, huge prawns, a blue crab, a whole squid etc… Al served up from the BBQ with a big baked potato! Sarah absolutely loved it, I didn’t know she was such a massive fan of seafood. Later we found a bar whos happy hour ran until 1a so we crashed in there for a few drink offers and staggered our way back to the beach huts for a peice of Taz’s birthday cake!
Sunday (full moon)
We were up bright and early for some breakfast before jumping in a minibus to the port. At 1am we set sail on a ferry rammed with holidayers all raring to get started at the full moon party. On arrival we realised its cost 1200 baht between us for a return taxi ride to the full moon or rent a jeep instead for 700 between us. So that’s what we did!! It was so much fun, it even had air conditioning. The only problem we had was that the engine was a bit rusty and it kept cutting out and rolling backwards on the massive hills – thank god Taz was driving!! We ended up staying at a place called Phangan Cabana, 500 a room for aircon, sky TV and the place has a pool. Our huts are about 100 meters from the beach, if that. We were going to stay at a place with a fan only and all in 1 room for 600 between the 3 of us but we decided on the comfort of aircon instead.. After a power nap we were all back in the jeep again racing round the winding roads to Haad Rin. We gave te guy his jeep back and took a look around. There we looooooads of people everywhere – I don’t think we’ve seen as many ravers in one area before and everyone was covered in glow up things or in fancy dress (saw a guy in a borat thong). We participated by buying a paint brush and 2 pots of illiminus paint. We stayed until 4am, dancing to all sorts of music (mainly dance I think) on the silky sand and drining cocktail buckets and changs! I haven’t been to a party with more people than this before. The guide book says around 8000 on the beach – I think there were more!!! Brilliant atmosphere. We’ll be scheduling in another one next time we’re in Thailand πŸ˜‰

Shockingly me and Taz didn’t rise until 2pm. Sarah had been sunbathing in front of our bungalows since 11. We rented scooters and used them for nothing more than to find food and nosy around. Way too hung over for anything else!! We had an early night for an action packed day Tuesday…
This morning we all left our Phangan Cabana bungalows for brekfast on the scooter. It wasn’t long before we discovered a really nice beach which had a sand footpath to Ko Ma, a very tiny island. Taz and Sarah did some snorkelling πŸ™‚ We visited an elephant sanctury this afternoon which we stumbled upon by accident. When we went in the guy said they also had snakes that we could have a look at. The one the man had out was a boa and about 1 meter long and pretty slim. Me and Sarah had a picture taken with it around our necks. Taz wouldn’t go near it! Then he said I could old his mother so he popped open a big box and out slithers his 3 meter long, definately not slim mother! I was the only one who’d hold this one, it was very docileand the man had me led flat on the floor while it slithered round me andit was right in my face at one point! Sooooo heavy! I didn’t realise that boa snakes were this harmless when they weren’t hungry. I don’t understand why I’m scared of a tiny spider yet enjoy playing with 3 meter boas! They’re fascinating!! Next wasn’t so fn though. Without wrning the guy popped open another box and a king cobra shot out. It moved completely differently, it was really aggressive, incredibly quickly and was lunging for the guy before we’d even managed to get out of the pen!! There was no way I was letting this one lick my face!
Tonight after a long day we almost ran over a little black puppy. We picked him up as there was no sign of people and when wepulled up at a pet shop the guy there agreed to keep him until someboy wanted him. We bought him a collar, a sack of puppy food and we called him Borris!
Mum & dad – sorry we haven’t spoken in ages!! Taz says thank you very much for his prezzy and he’s getting a tattoo with it in the morning – I’ve triedto talk him out of it!!!!! Ring you when we can πŸ™‚

Saturday 13th June 2009

Well the 3 of us are in Southern Thailand again. I feel very at home here in Krabi – Taz and I are already buzzing about being back in the climbing capital and we’re making plans for our next visit, hopefully next year. It’d be great to bring all our climbing friends over for a couple of weeks, and Harry πŸ™‚
We left Ko Phangan yesterday morning on a ferry at 11am which took 2 and a half hours. before we left Taz got a tattoo and then Sarah got one! I almost feel left out, ha ha. We got a bus and then a minibus to Krabi town when we were back on dry land, and a sawanthaw type vehicle thing into Ao Nang. We found the Ao Nang Grand Inn for 400 baht a night (8 pound) and went out for a fish and chips tea. You can tell there’s lots of tourists in Krabi with the food selection out there! We got a cocktail in a little raving bar but the view wasn’t brilliant, little Thai hookers prancing around isn’t really my scene!! We ended up going to bed late and shattered.
This morning we’re having a McDonalds breakfast as I’m typing. It’s just across from the hotel. We’re getting a little long tail boat round to Railey. Over the next couple of days we’re doing 2 full day tours – one to Phi Phi and one to 4 other nearby islands including chicken island where we’ve been before and it’s still the most beautiful beach we’ve come across. Fun times! Sarah has 5 days left and we’re going to make sure she goes home with a golden tan so there’ll be lots of hanging around in the sun going on πŸ˜‰ I’m very excited about Phi Phi now, we weren’t going to go but the price has dropped to get there because it’s low season, so we’re treating ourselves. It’s the island everyone says is like paradise and we wouldn’t mind a bit of that!
See you all soon! Jem and Taz x

Tuesday 16th June 2009

Since we arrived on Saturday it’s been idea sunbathing weather so all has been well. Sarah loved her first longtail boat ride over here and the scenery coming into the bay is just stunning. We took more pictures (hard to resist) even though we already have loads from last time we were here. We found a room for 8 quid night, buy two nights and get one free so it works out at about a fiver a night. Me and Taz went for a jog and I tipped over my own feet running down a steep hill and decked it, scraping off a nice bit of tanned skin from my leg! At the hotel we were staying at we got a really tasty sea bream each off the BBQ with salad and potatoes. Even the food’s much cheaper in low season. We couldn’t afford fish in high season! We had a few beverages at the “Drop Inn” bar next to the hotel.
On Sunday Sarah spent the day sunbathing but I couldn’t face the heat with a hang over so we went for a walk to a lagoon and the viewpoint. The walk up took about 45 minutes, it was really steep and really hard work. The lagoon’s really isolated and once you walk up the hill you have to walk down the other side and that’s even worse. We met a group (in flipflops!) that turned around, but it wasn’t too bad for us rock climbers πŸ˜‰ We had a paddle about in the lagoon, it was really peaceful because we were the only people that had dared climb down to it. Then once back up the hill we did an extra 10 minutes up hill to reach the viewpoint – photo’s coming soon!
Yesterday we paid for a speed boat trip to Phi Phi and its surrounding islands. I’d never been on a speed boat before and it was a back breaking experience! It was pretty good though, we got to snorkel loads (Taz LOVES snorkeling) in water that’s really clear and full of fish that don’t seem afraid of you. I’m glad we saw Phi Phi but I think it’s very over rated just because “The Beach” was filmed there. We’ve seen much nicer places in Thailand than Phi Phi. On the way back it started peeing it down so we got really wet on the speed boat. Funny but ironic that the day we do the tour it rains loads! It rained all night so we stayed in the same bar stretching out 2 beers until 1am playing cards πŸ™‚
Today it’s still raining believe it or not. A local guy predicted this a few days ago and he said it’ll last 3 days when it comes. Hopefully it’ll be gone so we can have a few days of sun before we come home. No big deal if it doesn’t, 6 months of sun is enough to last us a life time!! We’ve booked a cheap Air Asia flight back to Bangkok for Monday 22nd where we’ll stay for a few days before looking for a cheap flight home…

Sunday 21st June 2009

Taz and I have spent the last few nights relaxing on Tonsai Bay. It’s funny that we’re nearly at the end of our trip and we ended up in exactly the same bungalow that we stayed in last time we were here. When we checked out this morning it was nice to pay 20 quid for our entire stay πŸ™‚ It has been really hot and not rained the whole 4 days so it was a great opportunity to tan ourselves to death. I think all the entertaining we’ve done over the last couple of weeks has caught up with us too, by the time 9pm comes round we’ve usually been asleep or sat in the Small World Bar (our favourite) trying to keep our eyes open! The other day an American guy checked out opposit us and gave us a 30 quid bottle of wine that he hadn’t got round to drinking. So we drank it and were asleep just after 8pm, he he.
We spent yesterday climbing and it was all good apart from a bit of rope burn for me! I did a climb that was pretty hard for me, I only just managed to do it last time so I’m chuffed that I managed it this time after months of no climbing whatsoever. It feels like the end of an era. We’ve been free as 2 little birds, doing whatever the hell we want for a whole 6 months, climbing whenever and wherever the hell we want. No timescale. No commitments. We’ll miss that I tell you!!! It all feels very emotional!
Last night after climbing we were sat outside of our room on the balcony when we heard a huge bang. Turns out the monkeys from the forest behind us had come to raid the nearby trees for fruit. They were massive dark grey monkeys with bright white fur around their eyes and mouth, very strange looking things! We videoed them playing around and swinging in the trees, they mustn’t have known we were watching because when the cleaner appeared they bolted and flicked off some roof tiles of the opposit bungalow. We also hav a big lizard in our garden πŸ™‚ and a massive spider 😦 There’s also loads of squirels who I’m sure are responsible for knocking the coconuts out of trees, you’ll be sat there minding your own business and the next thing you know there’s a massive THUD and a cocounut lands beside you. Scary! Sitting outside our bungalow’s like a nature show – the noises the bugs make are also unbelievable, soooo loud at night!
Late last night we donated some Sangsom (Thai Rum) to the staff at the Small World who were very pleased and drank it after they performed their fire show. Very sensible! I got a picture with one of them who’s a spitting image of my little brother, Harry. Photo coming soon… I can’t wait to come back and see them all again, they’re so friendly, and we’ve only been away 5 minutes! We discovered last night that they only get paid 6000 baht which is 120 quid a month. And they all sleep on the floor in there at night under a mozzy net. Little soldiers!
It was sad to get a longtail over here this morning to Ao Nang but we can’t live in paradise forever! So we’ve spoilt outselves with a very nice room for the night. It has a lovely pool with nice plants and palm trees around it that we’ve been relaxing in today. It’s not every day that we get a room with an actual kettle in it! And we’ve had our first hot shower for well over a week. Tomorrow we fly to Bangkok (after abusing the breakfast buffet at our nice hotel) which will probably be our last destination before we come home. We’re going to do some spoil yourself type stuff, like massages, dates at the cinema, nice seafood teas before we have to come back to the real world. We’re also going to get some last minute prezzies and have all our washing done for the nice little woman that does it for peanuts, so our mums don’t go mad when we tip our baggage out!
Happy Fathers Day Dad!xxxxxx
Oooooh and before I forget, I promised Sarah that I wouldn’t tell anyone that she fell in the mud on the way to the airport… πŸ˜‰ It’s icing on the “appendix removal” cake! I think it’s Thailands way of getting you back for calling it Blackpool!!! I just can’t believe I didn’t get a picture, he he he…

Wednesday 1st July 2009

Well it’s happened, 6 months after leaving we made our way back to England. We had actually booked our flight home while in Vietnam a few months ago but didn’t tell our parents so that we could surprise them. So after a 2 hour delay, a 2 hour flight from Bangkok to Kuala Lumpur, a 2 hour wait, a 1 hour delay and a 14 hour flight to Stansted we had a 4 hour drive to Preston to do our surprising at about 4am Friday morning. Over 48 hours after getting up to go to the airport in Thailand we somehow managed to sleep!
Our last 3 days in Bangkok were taken up with shopping – lots and lots of souvenir shopping! We also drank a decent amount of Chang. We ate sushi – lots and lots of sushi for 3 days. We even had it for breakfast at Bangkok airport to make the delay easier πŸ˜‰ it was a very good 3 days. I’m glad we had a little bit of time after the beaches to hang out in Backpacker heaven – we kinda feel at home there now. But there’s no place like home here in Preston… we even brought the weather.
Since we got home we have been considering our options for the present and future. The priority is to get a job, save up and do something similar when I finish university in a year. We’re not ready for the mortgage, marriage and kids just now πŸ™‚ Taz has some electrical jobs to do and I’m volunteering at the local leisure center as a climbing instructor so that I can get my qualifications and do it myself somewhere a bit more adventurous over summer. I can also use it to get a job in America if I take my last opportunity to get a USA summer visa when I finish my degree next summer. But as the aim is to make money asap I am applying for jobs in the travel industry for work experience too.
The world is our oyster, we’re not depressed to be home, it has opened loads of doors and we’ve seen the opportunities that are out there. The massive variety of travelers that we’ve met since we arrived in Asia are inspirational and everybody seems to do different things while they’re out there. We met a couple who have been working seasonal/temp jobs for years and for about 4 months of the year they travel to wherever they fancy. We met a Russian girl that was in her 4th year of working her way around the world. We met a couple that were about 70 years old at the full moon party. The point I’m trying to get at, is this is not a once in a lifetime opportunity. It’s just an eye opener.
On the plane on the way home we were thinking about all the places we want to see now we know how possible it is when you have no house and no kids to just up and leave for as long as you want. I would like to do “work america” again but in New York this time rather than Colorado. We’d both like to island hop in the Phillipines, spend some time in Canada and maybe go to South America for a while so Taz can do nothing but fishing and teach me. I can’t wait…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s